Radhika Dutt is an entrepreneur, product leader, and the author of the book Radical Product Thinking: The New Mindset for Innovating Smarter. Her expertise in building radical products has led her to advise a broad range of organizations from high-tech startups to government agencies in industries such as broadcast, media and entertainment, telecom, advertising technology, government, consumer apps, robotics, and even wine. Radhika is an advisor on product thinking to the Monetary Authority of Singapore, the country's central bank and financial regulator. She also sits on the board of the independent publisher, Berrett Koehler. She earned a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering from the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Radhika speaks nine languages fluently, underscoring her talent for bridging cultural divides and fostering collaboration across global teams.
Today, Radhika joins me to discuss her book Radical Product Thinking: The New Mindset for Innovating Smarter and how you can apply the principles of her work to your own company. She shares the process she followed to develop the Radical Product Thinking framework and how that discovery led her to write a book. She diagnoses some common product diseases plaguing companies today and reveals how emphasizing culture can help you innovate. She describes the tools that teams use to innovate successfully and what leaders can learn from Steve Jobs. Radhika also offers advice to company leaders on shifting their company’s culture and mindset and adopting a vision-driven product mindset.
“Traditionally, we've always thought about a product as a physical or digital thing. What I've realized is product is really a way of thinking, and it's really high time that we change or rethink what product itself means.” - Radhika Dutt
This week on Innovation Talks:
- What a Silicon Valley mindset can tell us about testing hypotheses
- How Radhika developed the Radical Product Thinking framework
- How Radhika came to write her book Radical Product Thinking: The New Mindset for Innovating Smarter
- Signs you may have obsessive sales disorder or feature-itis
- The importance of culture in innovation
- A new way to view culture
- What a clear vision for your culture can do for teams
- The benefits of giving teams more autonomy and decision-making power
- Radhika’s framework for decision-making
- The perfect balance for company leaders
- What leaders today can learn from the launch of the iPhone
- Why understanding pain points is fundamental to innovation
- How to translate strategy into everyday decision making
- How to shift your organization’s mindset to a vision-driven product mindset
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink
- Radical Product Thinking: The New Mindset For Innovating Smarter
Connect with Radhika Dutt:
This Podcast is brought to you by Sopheon
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Innovation Talks. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.