Today, on Innovation Talks, Paul Heller and Greg Coticchia, the CEO of Sopheon, bring a wealth of experience in product management. In this episode, they delve into the challenges and opportunities faced by product managers, highlighting their crucial role in driving innovation and business success. Greg emphasizes the importance of leadership, collaboration, and strategic thinking for product managers to excel in their roles. He stresses the need for product managers to gain the trust and support of their executive team and the development and sales teams.
Greg and Paul discuss the evolving nature of the product manager role, noting how it has changed over the years. They highlight the shift from product managers being solely focused on feature prioritization to becoming business owners responsible for their products' overall health and success. They emphasize the need for product managers to go beyond just being a proxy for the customer and actively engage with customers, salespeople, marketing, and development teams to gain a holistic understanding of the market and drive product success.
The conversation also touches on the importance of executive support and understanding of product management. Greg emphasizes that executives need to recognize the value and impact of product management on the company's growth and profitability. He encourages executives to educate themselves on the role of product management and how they can support and empower product managers to make strategic decisions.
Throughout the episode, Greg and Paul stress the need for product managers to learn and develop their skills continuously. They recommend taking sales and marketing courses better to understand the customer journey and the sales process. They also highlight the importance of staying updated on digital marketing strategies and tools to market and sell products in the digital age effectively.
"If you're an executive and you don't know a lot about product management, you should. You should understand it as a profession. You should understand its role. You should understand how it helps you and your business." ~ Greg Coticchia
Greg Coticchia is the CEO of Sopheon and a seasoned expert in product management. With a wealth of experience in the industry, Greg has witnessed the transformation of product companies over the years and deeply understands the challenges faced by product managers and the evolving expectations placed upon them. Instrumental in reshaping the role of product managers, Greg lobbies for their involvement in strategic decision-making and their ability to drive business growth. He strongly advocates for product managers to develop leadership skills and build trust with key stakeholders, including developers, sales teams, and executives. Greg's insights and expertise make him a valuable resource for anyone navigating the complex world of product management.
This Week on Innovation Talks:
- Product managers should not fear or avoid working with sales organizations but rather find ways to collaborate and support them.
- Building relationships and trust with developers, sales teams, and executives is crucial for product managers to succeed.
- Education in strategy, business leadership, and sales can enhance the skills and effectiveness of product managers.
- Leadership is a key aspect of the product manager role, and they should strive to demonstrate leadership qualities in their work.
- Building relationships with sales teams is important for product managers to understand customer needs and effectively sell the product.
- Education in sales methodologies and digital marketing is essential for product managers to understand the customer journey and effectively support sales efforts.
- Understanding the role of product management and its impact on the organization is important for executives to provide the necessary support and resources.
- Product managers should not just focus on technical aspects but also understand their products' business and financial aspects.
- Agile Manifesto- The Agile Manifesto that changed the role of product managers.
This Podcast is brought to you by Sopheon
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Innovation Talks. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
For additional information about new product development or corporate innovation, sign up for Sopheon’s monthly newsletter, where we share news and industry best practices! The fastest way to do this is to go to sopheon.com and click here.