Noel Sobelman is the Principal at Change Logic, where he works with corporate leadership to accelerate new growth business and core business vitality. Noel has led venture programs that received national accolades, including PR Week's Best High Tech Consumer Launch, PC Magazine's Editors' Choice, USA Today/Rochester Institute of Technology's Quality Cup, and CNET's Best of CES awards. With a career spanning 25 years, Noel was the Managing Director at Kalypso, Segment Director at Kyocera Wireless Corporation, and Director of Worldwide Marketing and Business Development at Mobility Electronics. Noel has a Master of Business Administration degree in Innovation and Technology Management from the University of Virginia Darden School of Business and a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from Arizona University. Noel joins me today to discuss ambidexterity: the concept of having to simultaneously manage your core business and your exploratory business. He outlines how leadership should tackle processes and resource balancing for short and long-term opportunities with low and high risk. He reveals why it is vital to create new behaviors and a pull for change from the top-down and the bottom-up. Noel also shares why PPM systems are necessary enablers for allowing ambidexterity and facilitating future growth.
"The companies that can figure this out and effectively manage both sides of this equation without trading off for the other are going to set themselves up for success in the future." - Noel Sobelman
This week on Innovation Talks:
- The dangers of focusing only on optimizing the core business in the current environment with a heightened pace of change
- How transformative innovation differs from core innovation and managing your business when it is in a transformative state
- The challenge of balancing and allocating resources to short and long-term opportunities
- The pros and cons of creating a spin-off versus business integration
- Examples of businesses that are capitalizing well on new sources of growth
- Why it is vital to confront tensions, introduce new behaviors, and build capabilities top-down and bottom-up
- The benefits of using a PPM system to ensure you execute your growth and innovation strategies
- Podcast: A deeper dive into Portfolio Management with Noel Sobelman
- Podcast: Evidence-Based Innovation Portfolio Management
- Book: Lead and Disrupt: How to Solve the Innovator's Dilemma, Second Edition by Charles O'Reilly and Michael Tushman
- Change Logic
- Change Logic on LinkedIn
- Change Logic on Twitter
- Noel Sobelman on LinkedIn
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Podcast is brought to you by Sopheon
Thanks for tuning into this week's episode of Innovation Talks. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
For additional information around new product development or corporate innovation, sign up for Sopheon's newsletter where we share news and industry best practices monthly! The fastest way to do this is to go to sopheon.com and click here.