The Hershey Company
A Sopheon Customer Story
The Hershey Company: Innovating Moments of Goodness
The Hershey Company needs no introduction. As one of the most successful, enduring brands in the consumer goods space, The Hershey Company’s 125-year heritage has evolved into today’s company purpose: making more moments of goodness for loyal consumers and prospective loyalists.
Innovation drives The Hershey Company every day; it takes 16,000 employees across 80 brands sold in over 90 countries to make those moments of goodness. Aligning priorities, processes and product portfolio strategies is critical for continued success as consumer tastes change.
The Hershey Company knew it had to transform to meet consumer demands and knew that the flow of critical information – between consumers, customers and within the company – needed to be faster and more streamlined than ever before.
- Embrace the change necessary to start thinking differently
- Enable growth to take place for the right projects and for the right consumers
- Capture and communicate new product portfolio information for seamless sharing across the organization
- Lack of a cohesive set of product portfolio data and prioritization
- Disconnected and discontinuous legacy ERP systems and processes
- Undefined cross-functional project collaboration and decision-making best practices
How Sopheon Helped
Throughout its digital transformation, The Hershey Company laid the groundwork necessary to be successful with its product portfolio management. Next, it sought a partner that could implement a new, systemized approach to executing the company’s new, more streamlined processes.
The Hershey Company chose Sopheon's Accolade software to bring the new approach to life. The singularity of this new approach – creating a single source of “truth” and transparency for cross-functional new product development – was a perfect match for Accolade's ability to streamline digital transformation execution.
Working together with The Hershey Company, Sopheon helped design and implement:
- Revised Stage-Gate® documentation with the gate decisions made by viewing analytics directly inside Accolade, eliminating PowerPoint® from most Stage-Gate presentations
- Created a simple, consistent P&L process for all project types, for “apples-to-apples” comparison of risk and opportunity
- Consolidated eight different Stage-Gate meetings and 30 different project types to three meetings and eight project types for more efficient decision-making
- Brought cross-functional teams together on a single platform for prioritization, workflow and resource management
- Enabled better company-wide resource allocation and communication through Accolade
Benefits and Lessons Learned
Watch this short video to hear about the tangible benefits of transforming Hershey’s PPM process and some lessons learned along the way.
The Hershey story was told by experienced innovation experts Jeff Schmitz, Sr. Director of US Commercial Operations, and Nate Forney, Sr. Manager of Project Portfolio Management and Analytics of Hershey in the webinar " Hershey’s Digital Transformation Journey."