General Summary, Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Principal Systems Administrator position requires the following responsibilities and skills
- Be the technical team leader in the regional team, including regular mentoring and guiding of Senior Systems Administrators, Systems Administrators, and other team members.
- Work closely with the Architects (Enterprise IT, Product, DevOps) and ability to make design decisions.
- Be able to prioritize and choose the best short-term/advise on long-term strategies.
- Taking ownership and being a decision maker for a topic (service request, change, incident), scheduling and leading meetings on that topic.
- Mindset to think out of the box, being able to widen scope and consider more options and consequences and side effects and future state.
- Communication with (potential) customers, explaining what we do, how we do it, and selling what we do as a positive and competent experience – architecture, security, processes, procedures, etc.
- Lead major IT projects from orientation phase to successful project closure.
- Be an integral part of Cloud DevOps for Sopheon’s SAAS offerings, Sopheon’s Operational Infrastructure, and secondarily daily IT support for the Sopheon employees
- Support a diverse infrastructure of Operating Systems, Web Servers, Database Servers, IAAS, PAAS, and enterprise security infrastructure.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Install, configure, monitor, improve and maintain the following aspects of Sopheon Cloud Hosting
- Microsoft Windows Servers, including IIS
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and PostgreSQL
- AWS, Azure and Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager virtualization
- Microsoft System Center Suite
- Cloud Networking including DNS, CDN, WAF, Proxy, Load Balancing, VLAN, VPN
- High availability, scalability, and disaster recovery plans
- Security information and event management tools
- Communicate with customers or support to resolve tasks and issues as needed
In addition to the above, the infrastructure team provides daily IT support by monitoring, prioritizing, and resolving requests for assistance from employees. Tasks require a broad range of IT skills such as:
- Deploying and supporting Windows/Mac Client PCs
- Administering a mid-size Enterprise Windows environment
- Application administration
- Network administration
As part of a team that has many responsibilities across the company, the Principal Systems Administrator needs to prioritize workload to ensure that recurring tasks are completed while also supporting other departments during implementations and updates, resolving cloud issues that are escalated and helping the other team members of Sopheon IT when needed.
Flexible and willing to adjust to new patterns, shifting work and responsibilities. Display confidence and competency while handling issues. Independently manage their own workload and remain accountable, promoting a positive team approach under pressure.
This position is part of the Sopheon IT team which supports all computing needs for Sopheon across 6 global offices. This includes operations, on-premises installation services, cloud application hosting services, and all internal computer labs. This wide range of responsibilities allows much room for personal initiative and development of individual skillsets while working with the latest technologies. Our environment is a Microsoft-centric environment where you can progress in skills and certifications.
Sopheon’s culture strives to maintain a pleasant working environment in a dedicated international team with a very broad range of subject matter expertise. Cross team and cross organization mobility is encouraged. Positions are primarily standard business hours, but many roles include being responsible for several maintenance windows per year, 24/7 on call rotations, and occasionally working flexible hours to accommodate corporate or customer off-hours tasks.
Key Performance Indicators of success: (KPIs)
Execute on Principal System Administrator tasks with excellence.
Owning at least one major subject matter area, being the expert, and ensuring forward progress in that area.
Bringing new ideas, new products, best practices, and general industry concepts into the team to ensure we are improving on a regular basis. Noticing things that need changed, and making sure that happens.
Updating systems, processes, procedures, along with completing and updating documentation
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Ability to independently administer Microsoft centric systems, Cloud providers (Azure, AWS) and modern IT automation toolsets. Solving end user request and issues, and performing regular maintenance tasks.
Ability to write, review, and update documentation.
Minimum of five to ten years of experience administering and operating infrastructure
- US - Bachelor’s degree (US) or equivalent in IT or related discipline
- EU – MBO+ or HBO degree or equivalent in IT or related discipline
- Microsoft Certifications and Security Certifications are an advantage.
- Experience with role and technologies can be a substitute for a degree
- Occasional overnight travel may occur to other Sopheon offices in the region or abroad.